A new market has opened up for models and it pays insanely well! Gone are the days where you need to hire an agent to help you reel in potential clients. This is a new era and you are in full control of everything, including your paycheck. The best part of the deal is that you can model from the comfort of your home whenever you want. Sound too good to be true? Read on!
What’s this “new” modeling market about?
The relatively new market that we’re talking about is social media modeling. It has literally taken the online marketing world to another level, and models are benefiting most from it. Small and big companies are now scouting models via social media to advertise their products, and it’s working!
It’s safe to say that social media has not only changed our lives but also changed our perspectives of how we look at brands. Almost every established company runs a few social media pages; from Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and even Twitter they do it all!
How to become a social media model?
To start off, most companies look for “social media influencers”. This basically means that you need a strong social media presence with a large number of followers. It sounds simple, but it can be quite difficult to attain an organic number of followers. When using the term organic what is actually meant is that your followers need to be real people with a real interest in your views.
Here’s how you can become a social media influencer
In order to be recognized as an influencer, you have to post relevant pictures often. Many social media models post almost daily and keep content fresh. The content you will need on your social media accounts will have to be unique and completely out of the box. It sounds way harder than it actually is, but luckily for you, we’re here to give you a breakdown of the do’s and don’t’s.
What you need to do
- First, you’re going to want to find your niche and genre– You can choose a specific niche based on your personality and interests. So for example, if you’re into fitness, then post fitness related content. Throw in some workout videos and some healthy eating tips that your followers can see. This will spark up interest and help you gain a good amount of followers.
- Create a blog or vlogging channel– In order to be consistent, you will need to start up a blog or vlog. This will draw even more people into the loop and you can show them your daily routines and give them free tips and advice.
- Build your followers- Interact with your followers regularly, this will show them that you truly care. Have a few giveaways/competitions, everyone likes free things and this is probably the most sufficient way to build up your online presence. *A quick tip for doing giveaways; make sure that those following you tag others in on your posts. This is actually why social media influencers do competitions and giveaways so that they can get noticed and grow their followers.
- Contact companies- This is probably the most challenging part of it all. Contact brands and companies that are relevant to you and ask them if they’d like to collaborate. It’s always important to know the brand/ company well before deciding to work with them. So make sure that you know who they are and what they do. Send links to your social media profiles and negotiate a price for promoting their products.
It might be challenging at first and you might even be turned down. This is completely normal, but it helps create awareness of you are. Always be friendly when dealing with companies and tell them to have a look at your social media, in case they would like to promote their products with you in the future.
How much do social media models/influencers make?
Starting out as a social media influencer is always tricky because you don’t want to undercharge or overcharge. Try finding out what other models charge for promotions and work around that figure.
A big contributing factor to how much you charge is based on your monthly impressions. According to dummies.com here are a few figures that you can look at and use:
- 2,000 to 10,000 Instagram followers: $75 to $250 per image
- 10,000 to 50,000 Instagram followers: $250 to $500 per image
- 50,000 to 100,000 Instagram followers: $500 to $1,000 per image
- 100,000 to 500,000 Instagram followers: $1,000 to $3,000 per image
- 500,000+ Instagram followers: $3,000+ per image